Featured Blog Post
- Stop Leaks to Recover Operating Costs on Dust Collectors
- Baghouse Filter Troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting Rotary Vacuum Disc Filters
- Vacuum Belt Filter Troubleshooting Tips
- Troubleshooting Rotary Vacuum Drum Filters
Belt Filter Press Basics
The Belt Filter Press or Twin Wire Press is common in municipal and industrial waste water treatment plants (WWTP). They are also used to dewater mashed foods like fruit and potato skins. A Belt Press dewaters in five stages.
1. Chemical Conditioning- Sludge is blended with polyelectrolyte or polymer feed in a conditioning tank. This allows solid particles to clump into agglomerate or flocs. The amount of polymer feed is a critical component to cakes with consistent thickness and moisture content.
2. Gravity Drainage- Sludge is fed onto the main filter belt, a monofilament woven fabric designed with high flow rates. Gravity dewaters the sludge as the belt approaches the next zone.
3. Low Pressure Dewatering- The sludge travels into contact with the pressure belt, or top belt, gradually squeezing until they have sandwiched the forming cake.
4. High Pressure Dewatering- Staggered rollers cause the two belts to shear as the main belt goes from direct contact with one roller to being pulled by the other belt’s contact with the next roller. At this stage, sludge has become dewatered cake.
5. Discharge- Scraper blades removed cake from both belts, which separate and run through a spray wash before repeating the cycle.
Industrial Filter Media for the Twin Wire Press
- Edge Trackers
- Tracking Rollers
- Tension Rollers
- Drive Rollers
- Breast Rollers
- Drainage Pan
- Shower Bars
- Main Belt
- Pressure Belt
- Scraper Blade
- Safety Cords
- Control Panel
If you are having trouble installing lacing wire through the belt clips, try straightening the first foot of wire and file the end to a point. Hand feed what you can, then attach a drill to the end of the wire. Use the slow speed. It should spin with ease. Here are a few more Lacing Wire Tips, and click here for our recommended Lacing Wire Installation Procedures.
Tears near the belt seam are causing premature failure. National Filter Media’s patented Rayza-Back seam reinforcement adds strength and prevents wrinkling without creating a bulge.
Doctor Blade wears away too quickly. This newly designed Dual Density Scraper Blade has a bonded soft tip that is easier on the belt seam and has a firm seal to the belt for great cake removal.
Cake sticks to Filter Belts. Switch to NFM’s Sludge Hog and harness the power of Nano Technology!
Rollers have locked up. Don’t buy new, we rebuild rollers for the belt filter press.
Count on NFM to Fix Your Belt Filter Press
Your Twin Wire should be up and running after following Rick’s tips. If you need any replacement parts or want to talk to Rick, Randy, Shane, or the sales rep in your area, we’ll come onsite to help fix your filter!
Contact A Technical Expert
Call us today to learn how our expertise can provide you with the filtration solution you’ve been looking for. We’ll build a relationship with you that will last well beyond the sale, providing you with unparalleled customer service and technical filtration expertise.